Recipe for Fish Ball Soup
- 600g fish - Tengiri (Mackerel) or Parang (Wolf-herring)
- 2oz sohoon - cut into 1 1/2" strips and soaked in cold water
- 4 cloves garlic - finely minced
- 3 tbsp cooking oil
- 4 cups stock from chicken bones
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 3oz lettuce, shredded
- 2 dspn local green celery and spring onions - finely chopped
- 2 bundles coriander leaves
- 2 dspn tangchai (pickled radish)
- 1 dspn sliced red chillies
- 2 dspn fried sliced shallots
How to make the Fish Balls:
- Remove fish flesh from skin and bones, scraping it off with a spoon in thin layers. Chop fish a little on a wooden board or pass through mincer, then pound using pestle and mortar, adding water in which 1 tsp of salt has been dissolved.
- Add enough water to give the fish a soft consistency that is handable. Add pepper and salt to taste and a little of chopped celery and spring onions. (If you like a crispness in the fish balls, add a dessertspoon oil while pounding and reduce the salted water)
- Mix well with fingers, scoop up pounded fish and throw the lump into the mortar several times to get it smooth.
- Form little balls oiling your fingers slightly to prevent fish sticking to them, and drop them in a bowl of salted cold water. Put aside till required.
- Mix 300g fish and 300g prawns for the pounded mixture; or use 300g fish for fish balls and 600g prawns for prawn balls.
- Add pounded mixture chopped bokgi, which is used in chapchai (optional).
- Put oil in deep pan and when hot fry the garlic till golden brown,
- Add stock which has been strained and salt and pepper to taste.
- When boiling, add the fish balls and allow to simmer gently till fish balls are properly cooked. Add the sohoon and serve at once.
- Put shredded lettuce into dish and pour over it the fish ball soup.
- Garnish top with chopped celery, spring onions, coriander leaves, fried onions and sliced chillies. If you care for tangchai add this too.
Image credit - hao520
Buy and order books cheap online, novels, recipes, used books - Singapore Food Recipes
Do you like this recipe?