Recipe for Otah
- 300 g fish (kurau) cut into thin pieces, after removing all bones or 300 g fresh prawns - shelled and cleaned
- 2 1/2 dessertspoons roasted coriander seeds - finely ground
- 6 dessertspoons grated coconut that has been fried golden brown - pounded a little but not fine
- 3/4 teacup very thick coconut milk from 3/4 coconut
- 1 tsp laksa leaves - finely sliced
- Salt to taste
- 3 stalks lemongrass - sliced finely
- 6 buah keras
- 1/4" dry turmeric
- 8 dried chillies - seeded
- 2 cloves garlic
- 10 small onions
- Pieces of banana leaves - softened by steaming or boiled in water for a few minutes
- Boil all ground ingredients together with coconut milk and salt till thick enough to set.
- Then add fried pounded coconut. Mix well.
- Remove from fire and leave to cool completely.
- When cool, add fish or prawns (uncooked) and chopped laksa leaves.
- Place a little of the mixture in a piece of banana leaf, fold the two sides over each other and secure the ends with tooth-picks.
- Make as many bundles of otah as you can.
- Grill them over a slow charcoal fire for about 15 minutes, turning bundles when necassary.
- Serve hot with Nasi Lemak or eat it on its own.
Recipe Submmited by Madam Tini
Buy and order books cheap online, novels, recipes, used books - Singapore Food Recipes
Do you like this recipe?